Germany on 19 August 2016 defeated Sweden by 2-1 to win their first ever Olympic gold medal in women's football. Germany is now one of only three women's teams to win both the Olympics and World Cup. Germany failed to qualify for the Olympics in 2012 but won the bronze the last three times they played, in 2000, 2004 and 2008. Canada won the bronze medal in the event.
About Germany women's national football team
• The Germany women's national football team is governed by the German Football Association (DFB).
• The German national team is one of the most successful in women's football.
• They are two-time world champions, having won the 2003 and 2007 tournaments. They are also the only nation to have won both the men's and women's tournament.
• Birgit Prinz holds the record for most appearances and is the team's all-time leading goalscorer.
• Silvia Neid has been the team's head coach since 2005.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Is this article important for exams ? Yes
Read more Current Affairs on: Germany , Women’s Football , Rio Olympics , Sweden