Tuesday 29 November 2016

Devendra Bundela set to break Ranji Trophy’s longevity mark

Madhya Pradesh skipper, Devendra Bundela will become the most capped Ranji Trophy player when he leads his team out against tie against Baroda at Dharamsala on Tuesday. The 39-year-old will be playing in his 137th Ranji tie, surpassing Mumbai stalwart Amol Muzumdar’s record. Bundela credited his longevity to his focus owing to his modest background. “Cricket has taught me discipline,” he told
ESPNcricinfo. “Coming from Ujjain, which didn’t have a history of cricket, it took me a while to get adjusted to the rigours of professional cricket. That drove me to go out of my way and try and be an achiever.

Bundela, who made his first-class debut as a 19-year-old, added: “There was no guarantee of succeeding, but the challenges made me work that much harder. It’s been a long journey, of ups and downs. Looking back now, I can say I’ve given it my best despite the limitations I had. There are no regrets.”

He has scored 9,558 runs, the third highest Ranji aggregate, with 26 centuries. He also has 58 first-class wickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment