Paul Beatty on 25 October 2016 became the first US author to win the Man Booker Prize. He won the award for his racial satire, 'The Sellout' at a ceremony in London's Guildhall. the novel tells the story of a young black man who tries to reinstate slavery and racial segregation in a suburb of Los Angeles. Chair of the Judges, Amanda Foreman, said the book managed to eviscerate every social taboo. Beattywas honoured with the prize money of 50000 Euros from the Duchess of Cornwall, a trophy and a designer bound edition of his book. The shortlisted authors each received 2500 Euros and a specially bound edition of their book. 2016 Man Booker shortlist included
• The Sellout - Paul Beatty (US)
• Hot Milk - Deborah Levy (UK)
• Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh (US)
• His Bloody Project - Graeme Macrae Burnet (UK)
• All That Man Is - David Szalay (Canada-UK)
• Do Not Say We Have Nothing - Madeleine Thien (Canada)
• He was born in Los Angeles in 1962 and now lives in New York.
• His previous novels are Slumberland (2008), Tuff (2000) and The White Boy Shuffle (1996).
• He received an MFA in creative writing from Brooklyn College and a MA in psychology from Boston University.
• In 1990, Beatty was crowned the first ever Grand Poetry Slam Champion of the Nuyorican Poets Cafe.
The Sellout: Paul Beatty
Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, the Sellout is a 304-page novel and narrates story of a boy born in the agrarian ghetto of Dickens, on the southern outskirts of Los Angeles. It talks about his isolated upbringing and the race trail that sends him to the Supreme Court.
The book challenges the sacred tenets of the United States Constitution, urban life, the civil rights movement, the father-son relationship, and the holy grail of racial equality―the black Chinese restaurant.
The Sellout was awarded the 2015 National Book Critics Circle Award for fiction.
3 months Supplement CA
About Man Booker Prize
• First awarded in 1969, the Man Booker Prize is recognised as the leading award for high quality literary fiction written in English.
• The award promotes the finest in fiction by rewarding the very best book of the year. The prize is the world's most important literary award and has the power to transform the fortunes of authors and publishers.
• Its list of winners features many of the giants of the last four decades: from Salman Rushdie to Margaret Atwood, Iris Murdoch to JM Coetzee.
The 2015 Man Booker Prize was conferred on Marlon James for his book A Brief History of Seven Killings in 2015.