Donald Tusk re-elected as President of European Council
Donald Tusk on 9 March 2017 was appointed to a second term as President of the European Council, one of the European Union’s governing bodies.Tusk won the elections despite objections from the government of his own country, Poland. Poland had argued (तर्क दिया) that the decision should be delayed because of its displeasure (नाराजगी) with Tusk. However, Poland was overruled (खारिज कर दिया) by leaders of the 27 other European Union member countries as they gathered for their spring summit(वसंत शिखर सम्मेलन) meeting. It is the first time that such a decision was made without unanimity (एकमत) since the position was created in 2009.
Who is Donald Tusk?
• Born on 22 April 1957, Donald Franciszek Tusk is a Polish politician and historian.
• He has been serving as the President of the European Council since 1 December 2014.
• Before that, he served as the Prime Minister of Poland from 2007 to 2014. He was the first Prime Minister to be re-elected since the fall of Communism in Poland.
• He is also a co-founder and chairman of the Civic Platform (Platforma Obywatelska) party.
About European Council
• The European Council is the institution of the European Union (EU).
• It is charged with defining the EU's overall political direction and priorities.
• The Council comprises the heads of state or government of the member states, along with the President of the European Council and the President of the European Commission.
• It was established as an informal summit in 1975. However, it was formalised as an institution in 2009 upon the entry into force of the Treaty of Lisbon.
Definitions of displeasure नाराजगी
a feeling of annoyance or disapproval.
his grin turns into thin-lipped displeasure
synonyms: annoyance, irritation, crossness, anger, vexation, pique, rancor, dissatisfaction, discontent, discontentedness, disgruntlement, disapproval, aggravation
not for worlds would I do aught that might displeasure thee