Thursday 29 December 2016

Former No. 1 Ana Ivanovic retires from tennis at 29

Former No. 1 Ana Ivanovic retires from tennis at 29 LONDON: Ana Ivanovic retired from tennis at age 29 Wednesday, ending a career in which she was ranked No. 1 in 2008 but can no longer play at the highest level because of injuries. In a live broadcast on Facebook, Ivanovic said ``it was a difficult decision, but there is so much to celebrate.'' The Serb won 15 tour titles, including the 2008 French
Open, and is now ranked No. 63. ``It's been well-known that I've been hampered by injuries. ... I can only play if I can perform up to my own high standards and I can no longer do that,'' she said. ``So it's time to move on.''

Ivanovic became a UNICEF national ambassador for Serbia in 2007 and says that position will figure in her plans.

``I will become an ambassador of sport and healthy life. I will also explore opportunities in business, beauty and fashion among other endeavors,'' she said on her Facebook page. ``I will also have more time for my philanthropic activities with my work with UNICEF. I've lived my dreams and I really hope to help others do so as well.''

A finalist at Roland Garros in 2007 and the Australian Open in 2008, Ivanovic lost in the first round of this year's U.S. Open to 89th-ranked Denisa Allertova of the Czech Republic. It was her second consecutive exit in the first round at Flushing Meadows.

Ivanovic announced a week later she would take the rest of the season off because of wrist and toe injuries, saying she had a recurring wrist injury and would also have surgery on a toe she broke at the Australian Open in January 2015.

``Ana is a true champion and a great ambassador for the sport of women's tennis,'' WTA CEO Steve Simon said in a statement on the tour's website. ``She has contributed greatly to the entire sport, both in her home country of Serbia and across the globe.'' 

No comments:

Post a Comment